If you have a sweet tooth, you must’ve tasted or at least heard of macarons.
They’re colorful, sweet, crispy on the outside & chewy on the inside.
However, the chewy or fluffy nature comes from egg whites which is why vegans avoid macarons.
But what if we told you that you could enjoy macarons as a vegan or get your own vegan macarons?
It would be amazing, right?
Well, your wish has been granted.
This blog lists the top 9 best vegan macarons to satisfy your sweet tooth.
They’re completely vegan, dairy and gluten-free, which means you can satisfy your sweet tooth while being a vegan.
What Are Macarons?
Macarons are flavorful and thin meringue cookies made from sugar, almond flour, and egg whites.
Once prepared, these cookies are sandwiched together using different types of fillings.
Here’s an image for your reference:
The outer shell of macarons is thin, inflated, and crisp, while the inner filling is chewy, making macarons unique and mouthwatering.
Difference Between Macarons and Macaroons
Several people confuse macarons with macaroons. Here’s how they’re different:
Macaroons (with an extra O) are made using shredded coconut and are a cake, not a cookie.
On the flip side, macarons are cookies made using almond flour.
Macaroons are generally extremely sweet for most people.
However, macarons are subtle when it comes to sweetness.
Macaroons are available in limited flavors.
On the other hand, you can get your hands on a range of different flavors and colors of macarons.
The list of vegan macarons listed below is itself a proof 🙂
Ease of Making
Macaroons are fairly easy to make.
You can easily make them at home within 20-25 minutes.
But macarons are a piece of art.
You need the right skills, patience, and a lot of time to prepare them at home.
Macaroons are quite crumply on the surface, and macarons are really smooth.
Macaroons, if frozen, can last for up to 3 months.
On the other hand, macarons should be consumed within a couple of days of baking.
What Makes Macarons Unsuitable for Vegans?
Well, one of the primary ingredients in macarons is egg white.
It’s because of the properly beaten egg white that you get that lift in the meringue.
And that’s something vegans cannot tolerate.
But does that mean all macarons contain eggs, and you cannot consume them?
There’s a vegan substitute for egg white using which vegan macarons are prepared.
Read along to find what that substitute is.
What are Vegan Macarons, and How are They Made?
Unlike the regular ones, vegan macarons are prepared using aquafaba, which acts as a substitute for egg white.
Aquafaba is chickpea-stewed water that is gelatinous in nature and does the job of giving the macaron cookie the lift, just like egg whites.
And the best part, aquafaba is completely vegan.
So, all the products that you’re going to find below are made using aquafaba and not egg whites.
If you’re a vegan, you can consume them all without worrying.
Top Vegan Macarons for 2022
Up for a delicious combination of rose and raspberry in your favorite vegan macarons?
Go buy this wholesale pack of rose raspberry vegan macarons now.
Made using rosewater, raspberry syrup, raspberry jam, vegetable oil, aquafaba, almond flour, and cream of tartar, this pack of 24 macarons is enough for your next party.
This pack is completely dairy-free, gluten-free, 100% vegan, and tastes amazing.
So, you won’t miss not being able to consume macarons made out of egg whites.
You must have enjoyed Ferrero Rocher chocolate or even Ferrero Rocher thick shakes.
But have you ever tried Ferrero Rocher Vegan Macarons?
If you didn’t know such a thing existed, it’s time to try it now.
Ferrero Rocher vegan macarons, as the name indicates, are Ferrero Rocher flavored macarons.
They’re made using sugar, almond flour, cream of tartar, aquafaba, vegetable oil, cashew nuts, cocoa powder, hazelnut syrup, and chocolate sprinkles for that chocolaty flavor.
Snickerdoodle cookies are soft and chewy, known primarily for their dominant cinnamon sugar flavor.
And if you want to experience that amazing flavor without following a lengthy recipe, you can order this pack of Snickerdoodle Vegan Macarons from Amazon.
Snickerdoodle vegan macarons, as the name tells, come in a sweet cinnamon sugar flavor made using sugar, aquafaba, almond flour along with cinnamon powder, vegetable oil, and brown sugar.
These macarons are 100% vegan, free from gluten and dairy.
As you move down the list, the flavors are only going to get interesting and more luscious.
So, keep reading.
If your tastebuds instantly become active upon hearing vanilla pudding or ice cream, you’d definitely love these vanilla vegan macarons.
Available in a pack of 24, vanilla vegan macarons are perfect for birthday parties, easter, thanksgiving, or even Halloween.
They look really lovely and come with an off-white outer shell and a fluffy pink filling.
Primary ingredients used for creating vanilla macarons are vegetable oil, cream of tartar, aquafaba, sugar, almond flour, and vanilla extract for that signature vanilla flavor.
The best part is they’re gluten and dairy free, along with being vegan.
You can never go wrong with chocolate.
Whether you add it to milk, smoothie, ice cream, sandwich, or eat it raw, it’s always going to enhance the taste.
So, why not take the chocolate legacy further by ordering vegan chocolate macarons.
Chocolate vegan macarons are made using vegetable oil, aquafaba, cream of tartar, sugar, and almond flour, along with vegan chocolate ganache for that authentic chocolate flavor.
The macarons look really tempting as the outer shell has that cookie-like color while the inner filling is brownish black.
It’s a pack of 24 vegan chocolate macarons.
So, whether you’re ordering it for you or your family or for a party, it will suffice.
Another unique addition to your collection of the best desserts could be this pack of mouthwatering hazelnut pistachio vegan macarons.
They’re made using cinnamon powder, cream of tartar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, almond flour, aquafaba, and pistachios.
Hazelnut pistachio vegan macarons resemble a chocolate cookie because of the brown outer shell, which is sprinkled nicely with some crushed pistachios.
And that fluffy white filling makes it look like a sandwich.
All in all, they look really cute and ready to be consumed.
If you’re a true sweet-aholic, you must’ve tasted a red velvet cake, pastry, or a shake.
But have you ever tried red velvet vegan macarons?
If not, we got you covered.
This package contains 24 red velvet-flavored vegan macarons for you to savor.
Not only are they delicious, but they look good too.
The cookie is bright red in color and has a creamy white filling which makes it look simply irresistible.
This set of macarons is made using sugar, aquafaba, vegetable oil, almond flour, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder.
So, along with that red velvet flavor, you’ll also get a combination of chocolate and vanilla.
Now, how can you beat that?
Want to experience that tangy and earthy flavor of those purple black blackcurrant berries?
Wait, not more. Blackcurrant vegan macarons are at your rescue.
This pack contains 24 assorted blackcurrant flavored macarons that are made using simple ingredients such as vegetable oil, aquafaba, sugar, blackcurrant syrup, and almond flour.
To make them look more attractive, the creator has given that dominant purple-black color to the cookies. So, they’re both tasty and attractive.
No matter how big of a dessert person you are, you must’ve missed the dragon fruit vegan macaron, right?
If you did not, hats off.
But if you didn’t know such a thing existed, this pack of vegan macarons is for you.
Dragon fruit vegan macarons, as the name tells, are dragon fruit flavored macarons that look really inviting.
There’s this bright dark pink and white texture that makes it look mouthwatering.
So much so that once your eyes are set, you can’t stop looking at them.
What’s more, these macarons are made using vegetable oil, brown sugar, almond flour, cinnamon powder, cream of tartar, and finally, dragon fruit syrup for that amazing texture and flavor.
Please Note: All of the aforementioned vegan macarons are packed with food-grade bubble wraps that help prevent any breakage and maintain the flavor.
Also, make sure to refrigerate the macarons upon arrival or keep them in a freezer and leave them at room temperature for 15-minutes before consumption.
Doing this will help you get the best taste.
So, these are the top 9 vegan macarons that you can buy online and satisfy your taste buds.
But what if you want to create vegan macarons on your own?
Well, we got you covered.
Here’s a universal recipe using which you can create amazing vegan macarons at your home.
How to Make Your Own Vanilla Veg Macarons at Home?
For preparing around 30 macarons, you’ll need:
- One ¾ cup or 210 grams of vegan unrefined cane sugar
- 1 cup or 100 grams of almond flour
- One teaspoon salt
- One teaspoon of cream of tartar
- Two drops of pink food gel coloring
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup or 50 grams of unrefined cane sugar
- 375 grams of aquafaba.
For aquafaba, you can simply purchase 2-3 cans of chickpeas and strain the liquid. In some recipes, you’ll find bakers reducing the aquafaba, but that consumes a lot of time and effort.
However, we won’t be reducing any aquafaba, and it doesn’t impact the baking process at all.
For preparing vanilla buttercream (filling for your macarons), you’ll need:
- 230 grams or 1 cup of unsalted vegan butter
- 360 grams or 3 cups of powdered unrefined cane sugar
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 200g veg shortening
Veg shortening is a substitute for heavy cream, using which you’ll be able to achieve the correct viscosity for your vanilla buttercream.
Directions for Preparing Macarons
Making the Macarons
- Bring your food processor and separate the bowl. Drop your dry ingredients such as almond flour, ½ teaspoon of salt, and powdered sugar into the bowl and turn on your food processor at low speed until you achieve ultra-fine consistency. Sift this mixture multiple times using a fine mesh sieve into a larger bowl.
- Now, take your liquid ingredient, i.e., aquafaba, along with ½ teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of cream of tartar, and drop this mix in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat this mixture until you achieve soft peaks that fall over.
- While you’re beating, make sure to gradually add small amounts of granulated sugar until the peaks become stiff. Remember, the peaks should be stiff enough that even if you turn the bowl upside down, nothing should fall.
- Once you have them stiff peaks, add some vanilla to the batter and mix until it’s incorporated. After that, you need to add the gel food coloring until it’s incorporated.
Now, some of you may think of using water coloring instead of the gel one.
It’s because water-based food coloring reduces the viscosity of the batter and fades when baked.
If you use water-based pink food coloring, you might end up with somewhat peach-colored macarons.
So, to avoid that, use gel-based food coloring.
- Time for macronage. Macronage is when the wet and dry ingredients are mixed.
You need to add 1/3rd of the sifted almond flour mixture at a time to your aquafaba bowl and gently fold using a silicon spatula until it combines. Add the remaining almond flour mixture in small amounts and fold until you can draw 8 using the spatula without breaking the macaron batter.
- Now that your macron batter is ready transfer it into a piping bag with a round tip. Bring a baking sheet and, squeeze four dots on the corners of the sheet, and place & press parchment paper over it. This will keep the parchment paper in its place.
- Pipe the macarons on the parchment paper in circles of 3 cm that are 2 cm apart. Once done, gently tap the baking sheet on a flat surface 4-5 times to burst any air bubbles. After that, leave the macarons at room temperature for about 30 minutes until they develop a dry layer on top of them.
- Now, preheat your oven to 150˚C or 300˚F. After that, bake the macarons for 17 minutes until you see them lift and stop sticking to the parchment paper. Once done, transfer your macarons on a wire rack tool and let them dry.
Preparing the Butter Cream
- Drop your vegan butter into a large bowl and mix using an electric mixer until it looks fluffy. Sift and add the powdered sugar to the bowl and then mix it again. Now, add some vanilla and mix; after that, add veg shortening until it’s incorporated. Your vanilla buttercream filling is ready.
- Transfer your filling to a piping bag with a round tip. Once ready, drop a dollop of the filling on a macaron shell. Remember, the size of the filling should be a little smaller than the size of your macaron. Or else the filling will fall out. Now, bring another macaron shell and sandwich it gently.
- Don’t eat them yet! You may be tempted to eat the macarons right away, and there’s nothing wrong with that. However, leaving them in an airtight container for 12-24 hours will help develop the right texture and flavor, enhancing the overall experience. So, wait!
- After 12-24 hours, you can enjoy your homemade macarons.
Please Note: This is one of the most basic forms of macarons your can prepare. Once you master it, you can play with both the filling and macaron shells as you like.
FAQs on Vegan Macarons
What are vegan macarons made of?
Q. Can Vegans eat macarons?
Yes, vegans can eat macarons, provided they’re made using aquafaba and not egg white like in the above recipe and the vegan macaron products.
Q. Are vegan macarons gluten-free?
It depends on the ingredients used for preparing the macarons. Nevertheless, the macarons mentioned on this page are completely gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
Q. Are macarons healthy?
Not necessarily, Because there’s butter and sugar used to make them. However, consuming a few every once in a while isn’t a risk for your health. Also, you can make them healthy by reducing the sugar content and topping them with some nuts.
Vegan macarons are a beautiful reality for individuals who used to consume macarons while they weren’t vegan and miss the taste now.
And the best part is that vegan macarons taste the same and probably better depending on where you buy them from or how you prepare them.
However, you won’t have to worry about the taste as the aforementioned veg macarons are crafted by experts, and the recipe is foolproof, provided you follow the steps carefully.
So, what are you waiting for, order your favorite vegan macarons or create them on your own right now!
If you like the idea of creating your own home vegan dishes, check out our recipes at bestdarnvean.com!