Vegan probiotics are getting the attention it deserves.
In ancient times, fermentation had been done to preserve food, making way for probiotics on our plates.
Thanks to the passage of tradition, we can enjoy these vegan probiotic foods.
It's known that a vegan diet consists of only plant-based foods, and animal products are avoided.
Most common probiotic sources include yogurt, cheese, and buttermilk.
But fret not; there are vegan probiotic supplements and whole foods that can quickly get on the market.
Check out my top recommendations for probiotic supplements to help start your better health Journey:
Vie Naturelle Probiotic for improved gut health that is vegan and gluten-free.
Physician’s Choice Probiotics for your doctor-approved daily probiotic fix that also helps in weight loss.
Future Kind Organic Probiotics for you probiotics fix in gummies form plus it is ethically made.
Benefits of Vegan Probiotics to Your Health
Probiotics, in general, are suitable for your overall health.
Probiotics are also known as good bacteria which help in better gastrointestinal health.
These good microbes can prevent diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease.
Another fun fact about good bacteria is that it can also help create some vitamins in the body, such as Vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting.
We may also think that bacteria are usually harmful to our bodies.
But with the help of good bacteria, this prevents the growth of harmful bacteria, increasing the body’s immune system to fight disease-causing bacteria.
An example of this for women, probiotics can prevent the overgrowth of harmful bacteria that may cause infections such as vaginosis.
Currently, there are vegan probiotics for women with recurrent infections in the market.
With new research showing the gut-mind connection, probiotics are found to boost mood and cognitive function due to serotonin produced by 90% in the gut.
Noticeably vegan probiotic users enjoy clearer skin as it prevents the overgrowth of bacteria causing acne. It has shown promise in reversing sun damage to skin.
Things to Consider in Buying Vegan Probiotics
Before we go into our main event: let's get on first with what to consider before you buy your vegan probiotics supplements:
- Ingredients: We must ensure that the product is made from 100% plant-based ingredients. Usually, we can see on the label that it is vegetarian or vegan.
- Capsules: Capsules can be made from gelatin. Gelatin may come from the bones of cattle which we must avoid. Look for pills made up of carrageenan, which are also vegan.
7 Best Vegan Probiotics
Products to List in Order:
1) Deva Vegan Probiotic
A. Home Page
This is a bang for the buck. It is affordable and contains a good amount of probiotics with 2 billion colonies resistant to stomach acidity. It is enriched with fructooligosaccharides, a prebiotic that enhances probiotics. It was found to be very effective in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
- It is excellent for people with food intolerance or sensitivity since it is free of many allergens such as gluten, wheat, and soy.
- It contains not just probiotics but Inulin-FOS, which enhances bowel health.
- It is 100% Vegan and Vegetarian friendly.
- It is taken once daily.
On Amazon, It is priced at $14.35/ bottle of 90 vegan capsules. Better check it out, and you might snag a bottle on sale.
It's a good and affordable probiotic that would last for three months.
2) Physician’s Choice Probiotics
A. Home Page
This is a professional-grade and physician-approved vegan probiotic which contains billions of good bacteria. This also includes Organic Jerusalem Artichoke Root and Chicory Root Powder to let the probiotics thrive. Its benefit has better chances of colonising the gut with good bacteria due to its high number.
It is also effective in weight loss, reducing bloating, gassiness and more. It is also non-GMO and contains no added soy, gluten, binders, wheat and peanuts.
- It promotes better gut health, immunity, and even the regulation of menstruation, for ladies.
- It contains 60 Billion CFU of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium Strains in addition to a prebiotic blend.
- It is verified to be non-GMO.
On their website, it costs $25.95/bottle along with free standard shipping.
This is a great product but a bit expensive, which you can compare to later on.
3) Future Kind Organic Probiotics
A. Home Page
These vegan gummies are made of 100% effective organic vegan probiotics. It contains no added GMOs, gluten, wheat, yeast, soy derivatives, artificial colors, and preservatives. It is said to be effective for bloating and constipation. Each serving amounts to 2 gummies.
The great thing about this is not just the product but also the company, which boasts a 100% vegan brand that is transparent, ethical and eco-friendly in its operations.
- It promotes better intestinal health and maintains the normal flora in the gut.
- It’s a fun way to take in your much-needed probiotics. It is in chewable gummies form, making it easier to take in.
- Its serving size is two gummies daily.
- Take note that it contains sugar, a total of 4g per serving.
based on their website, futurekind.com, it costs $24.99/ bottle of 60 gummies, which will last you for one month.
It's a fun way to intake your probiotics with the gummies, but this would only last for a month and is costly compared to others.
4) Ora Organic Probiotics
A. Home Page
This supplement contains 16 billion probiotics with 6 strains of vegan probiotics, including Bifidobacterium spp. Per serving also contains organic prebiotics such as Organic Jerusalem Artichoke that feeds the good bacteria making it more effective. Its capsule is vegan friendly and made from vegetables.
This formula had been clinically documented, and users noted having relief from bloating and constipation.
- It is dairy, gluten, and soy-free, plus there are no added sugars, which is great if you’re counting the calories.
- It is said to be an excellent choice for those with sensitive stomachs.
- There are about 16 billion CFU of stomach acid-resistant probiotics, including prebiotics, making the probiotics more effective.
- The serving size is two capsules/ day.
On Amazon, it costs $34.70/ bottle of 60 capsules.
It's very organic and effective but it is on the expensive side amongst our listed products.
5) Garden of Life Once Daily Women’s Probiotics
A. Home Page
This product has been made specifically for women. It has a probiotic mix that supports the woman’s normal microbiota to support women’s digestive health, immune system and vaginal health. This vegan probiotic mix has a variety of probiotic strains, including L. reuteria and L. fermentum.
It also contains an organic prebiotic fibre blend that would help the probiotics thrive and be effective.
- As it is specifically catered to women, it is said to promote vaginal health.
- It contains 50 billion CFU of good bacteria per capsule.
- It is gluten, dairy, and soy-free.
- Serving size is one capsule per day which can be taken without food.
On their site, it is priced at $34.39/ bottle of 30 capsules.
E. Bottom Line
This is a great one for women in maintaining good health and better immunity against diseases.
6) Vie Naturelle Probiotic
A. Home Page
This supplement contains 40 billion CFU(Colony Forming Units) of the strain Lactobacillus acidophilus for the maintenance of gut health as well as improvement in immunity. Its claim to fame is that it is entirely vegan, with no additives, lactose, gluten, and wheat-free, making it safe for those with food intolerance.
It promotes relief from bloating, excessive gas, and constipation. Another good thing about this product is that it was formulated and produced mindfully, having been certified and verified by the GMP Board or the Good Manufacturing Practice and FDA.
- It is Vegan- friendly and lactose, and gluten-free.
- It contains 40 billion CFU per serving. It includes a blend of strains of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium.
- The serving size is two capsules per day to be taken for 30 days.
Based on their website, it costs $11.99/ bottle for 60 capsules.
E. Bottom Line
Among the bunch, this is by far one of the cheapest and is a bang for the buck, being practical and affordable simultaneously.
7) Yuve Vegan Probiotics
A. Home Page
This product is good for all ages and genders. It has the recommended amount of good bacteria, which is enough to maintain good digestive health but not treat a medical condition. This product is in the form of plant-based gummies that are sugar-free and enjoyable.
It also boasts of being 100% vegan and is free from wheat, soy, yeast, sugar, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, peanuts and more.
- It is in gummy form, making it quite a treat.
- It contains five billion CFU of good bacteria per serving, with the strain being Bacillus subtillis
- Another good reason to buy this product is that its company is a proud Autism approved partner of the Autism Hope Alliance. Some of their proceeds are placed on donations for this beautiful cause.
- The serving size is two gummies daily. Do take note that it contains up to 4g of sugar per serving.
On their website, it costs $20.39/ bottle of 30 gummies, which will last you for 15 days.
E. Bottom line
This is a great product, but cost-wise this is by far the most expensive, and if you are starting, you can also consider others, such as Future Kind Organic Gummies.
Alternative Vegan Probiotics
Aside from drinking supplements to fix your probiotics, here are some fermented food dishes and drinks packed with probiotic goodness.
With the rise of the K-pop wave comes the increase in popularity of well-loved Korean food. Probably the most notable side dish known in Korean cuisine is Kimchi. It is a spicy, fermented cabbage dish that is packed with probiotics. It undergoes lactic acid fermentation. It has numerous spices and vegetables, making it very tasty. It is versatile since it can be eaten on its own, as a side dish, or even incorporated into main dishes.
Sauerkraut, a dish popular in Europe, is somewhat similar to Kimchi as they are both fermented shredded cabbage dishes and implement lactic acid fermentation. It has a salty and sour taste and crunchy texture, making it an excellent addition to salads.
It is a traditional Indonesian soybean “cake”. It must not be mistaken for Tofu since their only similarity is that they are both made of soybeans. Whole soybeans are fermented using Rhizopus oryzae, helping form the compact, cake-like consistency of Tempeh. It is perfect for meat-alternative and can be made as main dishes or incorporated into salads.
Kombucha is a fermented beverage that has risen in popularity and has been frequenting the beverage aisles.
Kombucha is a fermented tea drink filled with good bacteria and yeast, producing a “fizzy” or carbonated-like drink making it a healthy alternative to soft drinks. Usually, it is combined with fruits and herbs for flavour enhancement. Due to its increasing popularity, it is also incorporated into cocktails, producing a unique experience.
Natto is a popular fermented soybean dish that is very popular in Japan. It is very nutritious and part of the typical well-balanced Japanese breakfast. The process of making it starts with washing and then boiling the soybeans. Soybeans naturally have a strain of bacteria, Bacillus subtilis, on their surface, causing the fermentation.
Natto is said to contain up to one billion CFU of good bacteria plus tons of vitamins and minerals contributing to better digestion, stronger bones, and immune system. It is usually served with rice and drizzled with any favourite seasoning.
Probiotics are an essential staple in maintaining gut health and mood. Vegan probiotic supplements provide an excellent option for vegans and those with food intolerance, providing them with the necessary amounts of probiotics in the human diet.
Aside from probiotics in supplement form, other alternative sources of probiotics are vegan-friendly. It is an excellent source of the recommended probiotics, especially if you lack them in your diet. Go and explore which probiotic product works well for you.